Monday, May 01, 2006

Peek-A-Boo With The Bear

Just a quick story about The Bear (my 2 year old daughter's nom de net).

Our house is open concept, with the kitchen beside the living room, separated by four big posts. Two couches face one another across the living room and are perpendicular to the kitchen. I was in the kitchen and the Bear was sitting on one of the couches, minding her own business, when I thought I'd try and engage her in a game of peek-a-boo.

"Peek-a-boo!" She looks round, and when she sees me I duck behind the kitchen island.

"Peek-a-boo!" She looks at me and smiles. I hide and pause, trying to generate a sense of anticipation.

"Peek-a-boo!" She smiles and begins to bounce up and down on the couch. I duck again, and sneak over behind the end post separating the two rooms.

"Peek-a-boo!" She's now fully engaged in the game, bouncing up and down and clearly enjoying herself. I sneak over and crouch beside the other couch, which doesn't line up with her couch, so I can hide at the side.

"Peek-a-boo!" She sees me at the side of the couch. I hide and pause again.

"Peek-a-... what?" Where'd she go? I look up, and the Bear had crept quietly over and is standing on my couch, hands on the arm rest, leaning over, looking down on me and giggling.

Dad was outsmarted by the Bear.

No comments: